What is CAP 2024?
The Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) Common Admission Process (CAP) is a comprehensive admission system used for admission into the postgraduate management programs in India's prestigious IIMs. The last date to apply for IIM CAP 2024 will be announced soon after the CAT 2023 results are declared. The IIM CAP 2024 registration process will be started in January 2024, for 9 participating IIMs.
The process typically begins with the Common Admission Test (CAT), a highly competitive entrance examination that evaluates candidates on various aptitude and knowledge areas. Following the CAT results, candidates apply to their preferred IIMs, providing detailed information about their academic background, work experience, and aspirations. The IIMs then shortlist candidates based on CAT scores, academic achievements, and work experience, inviting them for Written Ability Test (WAT) and Personal Interview (PI) rounds. The final selection is determined by considering CAT scores, academic records, work experience, and performance in the WAT and PI. Successful candidates receive admission offers from the IIMs, and they have the choice to accept or decline the offers.
The IIM CAP is a highly competitive and rigorous process, ensuring that only the most qualified and suitable candidates gain admission to these esteemed management institutions. The exact details and criteria may vary slightly among different IIMs.
List of IIMs Participating in CAP 2024
The CAP round is organized for the IIMs which started operation in 2010-11 and for the new generation IIMs that started operating in 2015-16. It is the final selection round comprising the common PI process for the 9 IIMs.
Name of the CAP 2024 Participating IIM
- IIM Bodh Gaya
- IIM Jammu
- IIM Kashipur
- IIM Raipur
- IIM Ranchi
- IIM Sambalpur
- IIM Sirmaur
- IIM Trichy
- IIM Udaipur
New and Baby IIMs in CAP 2024
Out of total 13 new and baby IIMs, 9 IIMs will participate in the new IIM Admission process -CAP 2024 for admission to their flagship MBA/PGP programs.
Four Baby IIMs in CAP 2024
Out of the 7 Baby IIMs, 4 of them namely, IIM Bodh Gaya, IIM Jammu, IIM Sambalpur, IIM Sirmaur are participating in CAP 2024.
How CAP Round is conducted?
The Common Admission Process (CAP) for IIMs includes three major stages:
1. Shortlisting for Personal Interview (PI): based on the CAT scores and the individual IIMs shortlisting criteria, candidates are shortlisted for the PI round.
2. Conducting the Personal Interview (PI) Round: The PI round is conducted for the registered shortlisted candidates. This round is conducted in three phases.
3. Preparation of Final Merit List: After the PI round, a final merit list is prepared.
In addition to the PI, some IIMs also conduct a Written Ability Test (WAT) on the same day. The entire process is likely to be conducted in the months of February and March.
4. IIM CAP 2024 Schedule: The official dates for CAP 2024 will be released soon. The table given below will provide the official CAP 2024 schedule when released.
|CAT 2023 Results||January 2024|
|IIM CAP Registration Begin||January 2024|
|Last Date to Apply for IIM CAP||Last Week of January 2024|
|Intimation Regarding IIM CAP 2024 Personal Interview (PI)||First Week of February 2024|
|IIM CAP PI Phase 1||Second Week of February 2024|
|IIM CAP PI Phase 2||Third Week of February 2024|
|CAP 2024 for IIM PI Phase 3||Last Week of February 2024|
|Final IIM CAP 2024 Admission List||April/May 2024|
CAP 2024: Key Changes & Highlights
Here are the key changes and highlights for CAP 2024:
1. Return to Open Year Criteria: For the 2024 CAP year, the regular open year eligibility criteria of one filed return and one unfiled return open on the first day of the applicant’s CAP year is being continued.
2. Changes in Shortlisting Criteria: Post-COVID, IIMs are returning to their earlier shortlisting criteria. In their admission policy 2024, top IIMs have announced various changes in shortlisting criteria for MBA 2024-26 batch and have given higher weightage to bachelor’s degree, academic and gender diversity, work experience among other components.
3. Introduction of Bridge Plus Phase: The IRS announced a new pilot phase called “Bridge Plus”. This new phase was launched in April 2023 and taxpayers that were eligible to apply for this phase were required to provide book-to-tax reconciliations, credit utilization and other supporting documentation shortly after their audited financial statements were finalized.
IIM CAP 2024 Shortlisting Criteria
The minimum cut-offs of CAT percentile required in each section and overall percentile for shortlisting candidates for CAP 2024 personal interview are given below:
|Category||Section-1 VARC||Section-2 DILR||Section-3 Quant||Overall CAT 2022 cut off Percentile|
Admission to the IIMs is open to those who meet the requirements to take the CAT. They must,however,fulfill a few more prerequisites in order to be selected. Check out the following IIM qualifying requirements:
- The fundamental requirements for admission to IIMs are graduation with at least 50% of total marks or an equivalent CGPA (45% for SC, ST, and PWD/DA categories ).
- Applicants who are waiting for their results or who are in the last year of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualifying exam may also apply
- In order to be considered for an IIM interview, candidates must fulfill the requirements for the IIM shortlist/qualifying cutoff.
- For applicants to be eligible for an interview call and to take part in WAT/GD-PI, they have to meet the minimum IIM call cut off.
IIM CAP 2024: Key Guidelines & Documents Required for CAP Registration
Here are the documents candidates must keep ready before filling up the IIM CAP registration form 2024
- CAT 2023 Scorecard
- Class 10 and Class 12 mark sheet with a pass certificate
- Graduation certificates
- Soft copy of the Photograph and Signature (Less than 100 KB)
- Photo Identity Card
- Experience Certificates (Please do not consider training and apprenticeship as an experience)
- Issue valid caste certificate (NC-OBC/SC/ST) as per the format given on the CAT website. (For NC-OBC, it is valid for the next six months from the date of registration)
- In the case of DAP/PwD, issue the certificate following the format given on the CAT website.
- In the case of EWS, issue the certificate following the format on the CAT Website. The certificate is valid for the year 2024-25 ( based on the income for the financial year 2023-24).
- Extra-curricular and co-curricular certificates.
Key Tips to Prepare for CAP 2024
The CAP 2024 evaluation parameters in CAP round are shared below. It is suggested that the candidates should prepare accordingly. The panel will evaluate a candidate on following components in CAP round
- Candidate’s academic efforts and disposition
- Personality and Communication
- Quality of work experience.
New IIMs Final Selection Weights after CAP 2024
These 9 IIMs will prepare their final merit list for MBA admission 2023 on the basis of scores obtained in CAP 2024. These IIMs will make their final admission offer individually on the basis of the marks scored in PI in CAP 2024; CAT 2023 exam and other parameters like academic profile, diversity depending upon their respective admission criteria.
|Name of the IIM||Weight %age for CAT Score||Weight %age for CAP 2024 PI round||Weight %age for Academics & Work Ex||Weight %age for Diversity & Others|
IIM CAP 2024 Expected Seat Intake
Given below are the IIMs in CAP along with their expected seat intake for the 2024-26 batch.
|IIMs in CAP 2024||Proposed Intake for 2024-26 batch|
|IIM Tiruchirappalli (IIM Trichy)||240|
CAT Cut off for CAP 2024: New IIMs Admission 2024
CAT 2023 score remains the basic shortlisting criterion of CAP 2024 for new IIMs admission process. The CAT overall cut off is 92 percentile and sectional CAT cut off is 70 percentile.
CAP 2023 Centers
The CAP 2024 is expected to be conducted at the following test centers. Applicants will have to personally appear at CAP 2024 test centers to participate in the process. The final list of the test centers will be announced soon
How to know when to participate in CAP 2024?
The shortlisted candidates can check their CAP 2024 dates on the website of respective IIMs and will also be informed on their registered mail. The candidates who are not shortlisted by the 9 new IIMs will not be sent further communication.
Coordination process between New and old IIMs
The coordination between new and old IIMs is facilitated through the Common Admission Process (CAP). The CAP is a unified platform for MBA admissions to new IIMs. In 2023, IIM Udaipur coordinated the CAP for 9 new IIMs. The process ensures a fair and transparent selection procedure. However, each IIM, new or old, maintains its autonomy in defining its admission criteria.
New IIMs CAP 2024: Step by Step Process
The Common Admission Process (CAP) 2024 for new IIMs involves several steps:
1. Selection of IIM Campus: In the CAT application form, candidates need to select the IIM campuses they are interested in.
2. CAP Registration: Candidates need to visit the official CAP 2024 website and register by filling out of the required details
3. Documents Upload: Candidates need to upload all necessary documents in the specified format.
4. Shortlisting: CAP institutes shortlist candidates based on their CAT score and predefined criteria for WAT-PI
5. Interviews: The CAP conducting IIM collates a list of candidates selected by participating IIMs and sends emails to the aspirants, mentioning the IIMs which have shortlisted them for WAT-PI
6. Final Selection: The final admission list for all IIM CAP participating institutes will be announced in April/May 2024.